Borno’s Recovery Gets €61m Boost as Germany Pledges Additional €10m
Borno State has secured about €61 million in fresh funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding, recovery and reconstruction efforts in the state.
Governor Babagana Zulum disclosed this on Thursday in Maiduguri while briefing journalists after the fourth UN Offer Board and Peacebuilding Fund Steering Committee meeting.
Zulum said the funding would support interventions across the state over the next two years, following the successful completion of the first phase of the UN Offer Programme, which supported peacebuilding initiatives in Borno.
“Another new phase of the UN Offer has also been launched, amounting to about 61 million Euros, which should be spent within the next two years,” he said.
The governor disclosed that Germany had already committed about €10 million to the new basket fund supporting the programme, while the United Kingdom, Switzerland and other development partners were expected to make additional contributions.
He added that the Borno State Government would also contribute to the basket fund to demonstrate ownership and ensure effective implementation of the programme.
Zulum commended the UN Resident Coordinator, the Federal Ministry of Budget and Economic Planning, the UN Development Programme (UNDP) and other development partners for their continued support for peacebuilding, recovery and reconstruction in the state.
The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, described Borno’s multi-partner coordination framework as a model that could be replicated in other parts of Nigeria and countries facing similar humanitarian and development challenges.
Bagudu said the framework provided a unified funding mechanism and a common understanding among government, the UN and development partners, helping to address Borno’s post-insurgency recovery needs in a coordinated and sustainable manner.
The Chargé d’Affaires of Germany to Nigeria, Johannes Lehne, confirmed that Germany would contribute another €10 million to the programme.
Lehne expressed optimism that the intervention, under the leadership of the Borno and Federal Governments, would contribute to lasting peace and prosperity in the state.
The UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, Mohammed Fall, said coordinated action and strong leadership remained critical to addressing Borno’s challenges and those confronting the wider region. Fall commended Zulum and Bagudu for their commitment to the peacebuilding initiative and its objectives.
